On the hill of San Martino, in the historic center of Artegna, the 12th-century Savorgnan Castle dominates the valley. There were initially two castles, the upper and lower, and they guarded the ancient Via Julia Augusta, which led from Aquileia to Noricum. The upper castle was abandoned at the end of the 13th century; the lower castle can now be visited free of charge by anyone who wants to learn about the history of the lords of Artegna, the Savorgnan family. In fact, following the 1976 earthquake, the building was partially restored and opened to the public.
The castle underwent extensive renovation and opened to the public in February 2014. The structure has been renovated, the interior redecorated and adapted for exhibition space. In addition, a dining area has been created on the ground floor.
Archaeological excavations on St. Martin’s Hill have unearthed many artifacts from the late Roman and medieval periods, which can be seen in the permanent exhibition on the second floor of the castle.
Artegna Castle is accessible free of charge to anyone who wants to visit it every Saturday, Sunday and holidays in all seasons. The archaeological exhibition and temporary exhibitions are also free of charge.
Parking on the hill is next to the entrance, but it is also possible to walk up to the small castle from the town square via a historic staircase. From here, a path through greenery follows the eastern flank of the hill. After admiring Artegna from above, the tour continues through the archaeological remains brought to light by excavations and allows visitors to trace the medieval history of the castle. Also very nice to explore is the geological-naturalistic trail along the southern slope.
Along the way we encounter the remains of the western walls, the 4th-5th century cistern, the walls of the summit plateau and the small church of St. Martin, finally reaching the Castle.
In 1005, the small church of St. Martin arose, which, according to legend, was built on the ruins of a Lombard temple. The small church contains a cycle of frescoes dating from 1503, attributed to Gian Paolo Thanner.
A curiosity: the frescoes were brought to light by collapses caused by the earthquake that struck Friuli in 1976.
Following the 1976 earthquake, the castle was renovated and redecorated, and exhibition spaces and more were set up inside. In fact, currently the lower floor is reserved as a food court and houses a bar/wine bar, from whose panoramic terrace there is a splendid view of the hill and Artegna. The bar is open on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays and also organizes aperitifs with DJ sets.
From the historic center of Artegna a paved road climbs to the hill of San Martino, on which the small castle was built. Next to the entrance is a convenient parking lot.
Through this section you can contact Artegna Castle directly. Explorer FVG does not handle responses, nor is it responsible for the information exchanged in these conversations.
Savorgnan Castle of Artegna
Via delle Chiese, 15, 33011 Artegna UD
Open Saturday, Sunday and holidays from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 3 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
The contents of this page are protected from reproduction and copying with a digital certificate